Charging Order Lien And Priority
Topic Lien_Priority TopicsLien
One of the hottest areas of litigation involving charging orders is that of lien priority, both of charging order liens against other types of liens and competing charging orders. The issue exists, in part, because there is substantial uncertainty regarding the following:
1. How and when is a charging order lien perfected?
2. What is the effect of the perfection of a charging order lien in one state on other states?
3. Where must a charging order be perfected?
The answers to these questions are not found in § 503, and that section should be amended to attempt to address these issues. Merely expanding the Comment will likely not be effective, since lien perfection and priority questions are often determined by other statutes, and the charging order lien perfection and priority fix requires statutory equivalency.
LIEN PRIORITY ARTICLES
- 2022.01.05 ... Debtor’s Law Firm Fees Lien Takes Priority Over Charging Order In Rice
- 2019.03.19 ... Million Dollar Quartet Leads To Lien Priority Dispute Involving Charging Order
- 2017.12.17 ... Charging Order Priority Makes For A Mess In Florida In Capstone Bank Case
- 2017.06.29 ... Colorado Supreme Court Affirms McClure Charging Order Decision And Causes Split With Other States
(previous related article)
- 2015.08.26 ... Questionable Charging Order Priority Decision In Chase Bank Case
- 2016.02.21 … Does A Charging Order Lien Survive The Expiration Of The Judgment? Estate of Metzner
- 2016.12.16 ... Charging Order Gives Creditor Priority Claim To Defeat A Receiver In Detroit Memorial
LIEN AND PRIORITY OPINIONS
- Ainslie v. Inman, 265 Va. 347, 577 S.E.2d 246 (Va., 2003).
- Capstone Bank v. Perry-Clifton Enterprises, LLC, 2017 WL 5894915 (Fla.App., Nov. 30, 2017).
- City of Arkansas City v. Anderson, 752 P.2d 673 (Kan.,1988).
- Delaware Acceptance Corp. v. Estate of Metzner, 2016 WL 632893 (Del.Ch., Unpublished, Feb. 17, 2016).
- Duffus v. Baker, 513 P.3d 264 (Alaska, July 15, 2022).
- In re Dzierzawski, 2015 WL 1612092 (Bk.E.D.Mich., 2015).
- In re Inman, 2012 WL 2309359 (Bkrtcy.S.D.Fla., Slip Copy, June 18, 2012).
- JPMorgan Chase Bank v. McClure, 2017 CO 22, 2017 WL 1321334 (Colo., April 10, 2017).
- Lefkowitz v. Quality Labor Mgt., LLC, 2014 WL 5877850 (Fla.App., Distr. 5, 2014).
- MDQ, LLC v. Gilbert, Kelly, 2019 WL 948726 (Cal.App., Distr. 2, Feb. 27, 2019).
- P.B. Surf, Ltd. v. San Paloma Partners, L.P., 2012 WL 5511019 (N.D.Ala., 2012).
- Prodigy Centers/Atlanta No. 1 L.P. et al. v. T-C Associates, Ltd, et al., 501 S.E.2d 209 (Ga.Sup., 1998).
- Renteria v. Canepa, Case No. 3:11-cv-00534-RCJ-CWH (D.Nev., 2013).
- Rice v. Downs, 2021 WL 6111750 (Cal.App., Distr. 2, Dec. 27, 2021).
- SEC v. Detroit Memorial Partners, LLC, 2016 WL 6595942 (N.D.Ga., Nov. 8, 2016).
- Union Colony Bank v. United Bank, 832 P.2d 1112 (Colo., 1992).
- Windom National Bank v. Klein, 254 N.W. 602 (Minn., 1934).